Q: What 10 things should I be thinking and asking about when hiring a home improvement contractor (HIC)?
1. Hire only state-licensed contractors.
2. Ask to see a copy of the contractor's license and insurance and check that the contractor's license
is in good standing at http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/hic
3. Get at least three bids.
4. Get references from each bidder and take the time to check out their work.
5. Make sure the details of the project and the payment terms are in writing.
6. Confirm the contractor's liability and workers' compensation policies are active and the coverage
amounts are adequate by calling the insurance companies.
7. Don't pay more than 25% percent of the contract price.
8. Progress payments should not get ahead of the work.
9. Keep a job file containing all relevant paperwork, including the contract and record of payments.
10. Do not make the final payment until you're satisfied with the job, including cleanup